Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Intake

Lately, I've been meditating on music. "Speak to My Heart" is a plea for the Lord to speak to my heart. As I seek direction, I know I can't go wrong with the guidance of the Holy Spirit. While at the gym today, I began a new song, "Place of Worship" by William McDowell. It's about the freedom that comes with being in the presence of God..."free to worship, free to bow down, free to cry out, free..."
After listening to these songs so many times, they are in my spirit. "Speak to My Heart" causes me to seek God in decisions, and "Place of Worship" ushers me into worship (and it doesn't matter where I am).

This ushering caused me to think back to a very different meditation, a dark one.
There was a popular song about being free to fly away like a bird. The song was beautifully sad and full of heartbreak, like I was. On one particular evening when I was at a low point, I played the song over and over...I meditated on it. As a result, I cried non-stop. Each time I pushed "play", I wanted to be that bird...I wanted to fly away. The more I listened, the more I cried, the more depressed I became. I was hopeless. I wanted nothing more than to go away, far away. Every mistake, disappointment and hurt was magnified and I thought I was no good to anyone. During my despair, I received a phone call. I couldn't ignore the call, so I had to turn off the music and find my voice. Music off...the call was a blessing.

What we take in day after day has an affect on us. The things (music, books, various forms of media) we meditate on, slowly, have their way. It can be the difference between freedom and bondage.
What's been your intake today?

No comments:

Post a Comment